Maiden, Mother, Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes
Submissions open until December 15, 2017
Maiden, Mother, and Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes is a Bedside Press anthology of new fantastical short fiction by trans women and trans feminine writers curated by celebrated poet and author Gwen Benaway. Drawing on high fantasy and other genres of fantasy writing, Maiden, Mother, and Crone is the first anthology by trans femme authors to explore the realms of magic, supernatural beings, and alternate universes. Enter a universe of wonder where trans femmes are powerful heroines, sorceresses, and warriors fighting against dark forces in vivid magical worlds. With celebrated trans femme writers like Kai Cheng Thom, Casey Plett, and Gwen Benaway, and featuring art by Alex Morris, this anthology will transform the landscape of fantasy fiction and offer radical portals into excitement, danger, and transformation.
There are ten writer slots available for open submission.
Submission periods will be open until December 15, 2017, and successful participants notified shortly after.
Submission requirements, pitches sent must show understanding of the following:
- Proposed stories should be under 5,000 words
- Writers must identify as trans women or trans femme
- Submissions must include a story pitch of at least a full paragraph outlining the concept and general plot of the story (think elevator pitch)
- Submissions must include links to writer’s previous fiction writing work, including writing samples
- Submissions must be in the fantasy genre, with a preference towards traditional ‘high fantasy’
- Content should be aimed at a teen audience and up (PG-13 rating)
- Preference is given to new stories, but previously published material is also acceptable
- Deadlines TBA, but writers will be given no less than 3 months
- .07 per word
- Two complimentary author copies of the finished work
- Ability to purchase additional copies at print cost
- Writer will retain full rights to their work including the right to republish digitally or physically at any other time
- Writers may sublicense out their story as long as this does not interfere with the publication of this collection, interference being, for example, if another publisher asks you for exclusivity
- Publisher will be able to republish work only as a part of this anthology, with only previously agreed upon edits/changes
Please e-mail submissions to email@example.com or use the form below:
You can sign up here to be notified of any upcoming submission windows.